Bees are a sweet affair because of what they create in the end. But whether you are into beekeeping as a hobby or for business reasons, you have to make certain that your interactions with the bees are secure and easy. Aside from getting acquainted with the basics of beekeeping, you will also need to understand the best equipment to use in the field and how to really use the tools correctly. You can start off with the most essential beekeeping supplies and then update according to the demands of your beekeeping endeavor.
1. Protective gear – Beekeeping for beginners should start with prioritizing personal security and this means getting yourself protective equipment. This is what’s going to keep you protected to stings and bee venom that may be dangerous. The suit should be made up of pants, jacket, and beekeeper’s veil. They can come individually or you can decide on a jumper styled suit that is easy to wear. Think about getting gloves as well to finish the gear and gumboots also. The suits are made from other materials and you should be certain that you consider the pros and cons of each before buying what is appropriate and what you can actually afford.
2. It has a tapered sharp finish and a curved tapered end. It is what you will need to use to scrap off propolis to maintain a cleaner hive. You may also use the tool to open the honeycomb and skillet intruders like hive beetles. Some models feature small holes that you could use to pull out nails when necessary. Choose a hive tool that you can trust to serve your needs and one which is simple to use.
3. Bee brush – it’s a soft bristled brush you will use to remove bees from honey and frames supers. They are soft to keep them gentle on the bees so they do not wind up going on the rampage. You should ensure that you use the brush appropriately so you don’t end up damaging bee parts like legs and wings; remember you still need your tiny friends to maintain the business or hobby fruitful. Find the best brush and learn to use it properly.
4. Your smoker should be created from high quality materials like stainless steel and should have metal guards to protect your hands, a good chimney and wood or leather bellows.
5. Extracting equipment – you can select manual or electric, commercial or small scale extractor. They pull honey from frames and make bottling easy to do. There are so may models so make certain to choose what you feel makes the jobs easier.